We’ve been talking about picking up on some of the ideas we put together for the OPEN panel discussion from earlier in the month, and it seemed like posters were a natural fit. Given the text statements that we made to address the an idea of economies and creative practice that served as the backdrop for our talk (rather than the normal set of images), we wanted to find a place for them beyond that PDF file.
So, Monday seemed like a great day to start playing. We’ve been doing so much paper work lately, this is long overdue.
Hiba mixed some colours and started make some base colours.
We decided from the start to cut some vinyl (rather than screen printing or stenciling at this point), so we experimented with some colour.
But, it wasn’t long before the black stood out. Hiba was using a metal scraper to spread the acrylic paint on these smaller 9×12 sheets. We want to make these larger posters soon.
Also, decided to play with some other vinyl … haven’t pulled out that gold for a while.
Detail of texture of the paint.
We printed out those slides and started sorting through.
We decided to go with just one, as we were planning to cut a couple different fonts and colours and wanted to be able to compare the results.
Good ol’ Cutting Master.
We went with Interstate and Garamond — all caps and small caps.
Hiba weeds the first cut of shiny black.
Interstate looked promising at first.
Hiba applying the vinyl to the paper.
The paint dried, but was just a bit tacky, which helped get the vinyl to stick.
Detail, applying the vinyl, you can see the text through the masking.
Pulling it up, the gloss black looks deep.
Nice and clear, but didn’t stand up to the serif font.
Side by side, we’re pretty convinced with the Garamond on the right.
Less surface area of the font face makes it a little less visible though.
Then gold, just to get some contrast into the test.
The gold is a cheaper vinyl, but a lot easier to weed.
Fixing it up, as it didn’t stick to the paint as well.
Side by side, the gold is most legible, but looks too much like a poster. Not sure what to do with the black on black yet. Thursday will be more time to play. Maybe we can get some larger paper by then … lots more to experiment with, but even looking at these photos now, I’m still pretty convinced of the black gloss serif. Maybe more play time with the texture of the paint.
I came back later on in the evening and saw the rest of the work Hiba did with matte black before she left for the day.
Definitely harder to read, but the thicker black paint and the matte vinyl really work up on the wall. Experiments on Thursday.