The Magnetic Planters project continues. With Michelle and Danielle away this week, the rest of Broken City Lab had to relearn the process of making paper pulp. It was a good night, though we’re hoping to get this project finished in the next week or so. As Intersession begins, we’ll be shifting our Office Hours to another yet-to-be-determined day, and it might even be biweekly until July. We’ll keep you posted.
First thing of the night – remove the planters from last week from their mold shapes (blocks of wood, plastic containers, etc).
Josh and Darren took on the task of making pulp.
I think the first recipe went wrong for at least a couple reasons, though which ones I’m not entirely sure. I know we tried adding glue, but it didn’t seem to make anything stick, plus the pulp seemed to be much too watery and ground up.
Darren brought cassette cases to make planters around.
Adding pulp to our green container.
With lots of people helping out again, it seemed like we were going to be really productive.
And more blending.
And then, the retirement of the glue. We realized after trying to put together 7 or 8 planters that something was going wrong. The pulp wasn’t sticking to itself, or holding together.
So, a quick break outside to photograph some potential worksites. The wall of LeBel.
Here’s the portable in the parking lot that is, as I understand it, no longer going to be used. Either of these sites would be a great place to do some moss graffiti, another (hopeful) summer project.
Back inside, Jae from Windsor Guerilla Gardening Collective came by to ask us some questions about the planters and offered some great ideas to help with the growing of whatever we plant, once the planters are out in the wild.
Back to the recipe, we went with more paper, less water, and lots of flour.
This mixture seemed to work a lot better. Darryl and Laura went about pressing some small sheets of paper pulp.
I also tried my hand at making this recipe work.
Cristina went through the Text In-Transit entries to match up submissions to their colours on our working list of final selections.
It was a good night, lots of great people came out (and Darren learned how to knit!)
The next day, the planters are drying in my studio.
Some of them are pretty big, but I’m certain that all of this experimentation is going to result in some awesome magnetic planters. Soon, we’ll attach the magnets, stencil the planters themselves, and then get them up around the city!