Broken City Lab presents preliminary documentation of a section of Indian Road, a street located immediately west of the Ambassador Bridge in Windsor, Ontario. This area is one of our potential research sites. Ideas?
We spent a couple hours on Monday exploring some specific sites around the city to start planning some upcoming projects. Getting out and documenting and talking about these places really helped to solidify how important it is for some creative intervention/interaction with the city and how excited we are to do it.
Broken City Lab will also be recruiting Field Researchers so bring your ideas and suggestions and MAKE THINGS HAPPEN!
Although the Dance Party was technically supposed to be a Parking Lot Party, the rain forecast and the subsequent move inside the gallery didn’t stop the awesomeness from happening!!! We have to extend a huge thank you to the following people and places: the School of Visual Arts for letting us throw down, Sandeep Soor, Jason Child, Justin James, Matt Herdman, Stephen Surlin, Cristina … [Read more…]
Broken City Lab held its first public demo today—we showed incoming visual arts students how to make seedbombs! Here’s our recipe: 1 part seeds, 1 part clay, 1 part coffee grounds, 8 parts soil, 1 part water.
We spent quite a while this evening trying to perfect our tea recipe and then brewing almost 20 litres of it, in preparation of the upcoming Dance Party. In the photo above, we were in the middle of trying to figure out the best way to funnel the pots of tea into our reused (and cleaned) … [Read more…]
Stencil Party (How to Make a Stencil) from brokencitylab on Vimeo In early July I gave this demo to the members of Broken City Lab + friends in my backyard. This video is a great how-to for beginner stencilers. BCL will be giving more open stenciling (+ other) demos soon, so keep checking back for … [Read more…]
The last Friday we had before the upcoming Dance Party and Seedbomb Demo… We now have flyers, seedbomb containers, seedbomb germination (in the wild), and tea container labels.
After taking a few seedbombs home with me yesterday, I’m happy to report that with some considerable watering, our second recipe seedbombs have started to germinate. Also, and maybe even more exciting, the test seedbombs in Michelle’s yard have also began to sprout! Michelle also suggested we should make some photocopy handouts with the recipe … [Read more…]
I’m not sure why we didn’t start doing this earlier, but here’s the first report of our weekly activities. We’ve been meeting on Fridays for almost half the summer, trying to make, plan, and do events/projects/demos/awesome. Today involved us revisiting our seed bomb recipe, beginning the stenciling for posters for our upcoming Dance Party (details … [Read more…]