A look at our little corner of Civic Space. This is where we’ve been spending the majority of our time lately. For the record, the high shelves (those really nice ones with the Letter Library letters on them) were installed by Kiki. The lower shelves were hacked together by me. They’re very shoddy, but they hold many things.
As we’ve been hosting our 1W3KND Residencies, I love coming in on Monday and seeing the little re-arrangements made. Last weekend (I think) the coffee maker and tea kettle got a new home.
Hiba was away, so I got together the little instruction set for the writers in residence and put it back in the big red 1W3KND case.
One can of paint got us about 80% through. One wall left, will have to pick this up on Monday.
After painting, we spent the afternoon doing some more tests for this t-shirt project. The mangled shirt above features a number of test-sites of vinyl with various temperatures and times on the heat press.
But, before we could do more tests, we had to go back to the drawing board and get a better sense of the size of the potential texts.
We also played with a highlighter look instead of just straight text.
Our new weeding tools makes the vinyl cut process a lot faster.
Remember, cut in reverse for t-shirt vinyl!
Then, we place the design…
… and head to the press.
Laura is the master of this machine. I actually don’t even know how to make it do anything aside from plugging it in.
Laura picked up with the same time / temperature settings that we left off with before.
The vinyl seemed to go on no problem, but I think the temperature was still a bit hot, as it left a faint mark where the press hit the shirt.
We also played around with some ideas for the online forms that we’ll eventually make for this project.
Above, the blue shirt on the wall.
Detail of the vinyl.
For the sake of true comparison, we also cut the same text in standard Helvetica bold. We also set the temperature a bit lower in hopes of avoiding the marks from the press.
We’re pretty sure this looks better. I think we had discussed grey shirts before, we’ll see…
We ended the day doing some more comparisons. I’m going to wash the shirts and make sure that the temperature / time changes don’t effect the vinyl adhesion. More soon.